Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Other End of Courtesy!

London is notorious for overcrowding on public transport. I am so very, very thankful that I don't have to take a tube or train to get to work. In fact I don't have to use any form of motorised transport to get to work - I can walk! But after a frustrating day at work, when the English winter has set in, it's dark at 4.30pm, cold, windy, etc. etc. etc. the last thing I want to do is walk for half an hour! Yes, I know it's good exercise, blah, blah blah, but I do that in the morning - 7.30 or 8am. It's a very special time to be out and watch the squirrels still darting about, hear the blackbirds, the blue tits, and every now and then the woodpecker. 

But I'm digressing; I caught the bus home today. It wasn't too full and I aimed for my favourite seat which was still vacant. However having just sat down, a lady older than me padded tiredly down the aisle of the bus and I immediately stood up and offered her my seat. "Are you sure?" she asked surprised and her dark, very wrinkly face lit up. Of course I was sure! I still believe in good manners and 'old fashioned' courtesy - unlike some creatures of the male sex - gentleman is too nice a word for some of them! - one sees on the busses day in and day out. Yes I know they say that they have stood up for ladies in the past but have been treated as if they had been grossly insulting, so the men have given up being polite, it's too embarrassing.

Anyway, so I stood up - just as the bus decided to lurch forward of course - and almost immediately another Lady, probably about 15 years my junior, stood up and offered ME her seat! I made some funny comment about all swapping places, we smiled, and I took the seat offered.

Which reminded me of a conversation about a week ago when a gentlemen about 10 years my senior (not giving anything away here, but you get the picture!) was telling us that someone offered him a seat on his train journey into work. His reaction was one of amusement and surprise that someone had considered him 'old' enough to be offered a seat! He said he was quite put out!

It's no wonder the 'younger' generation don't appear to have any manners or know the meaning of politeness and courtesy - they are discouraged from being polite and courteous! No, I didn't get all morbid about being 'old' enough to be offered a seat (and it was a lady who offered, please note!), I was just pleased to know there are still some Londoners who are kind, friendly and polite!
(The only pic we have of 'my' bus - photo by Megan in winter 2009!)

No comments:

Post a Comment